BikeLife365

BikeLife365

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Messenger Bags for the Daily Commuter?

by A. Tong

Since it was Bike to Work Day here in Calgary a few days ago, I thought it would be fitting to show what I use to carry my daily essentials to work.

It seems these days that messenger bags are all the rage.  Not only do you see messengers wearing them but also daily commuters.  So what makes these bags so popular?  Wouldn't carrying all the weight on one shoulder hurt?  I had the same questions so I decided to sew one (I'm pretty handy) and see what the madness was all about!

I tried to make my bag as similar to those used by real messengers (like Timbuk2 and Chrome messenger bags).  At the time this bag was made, I had a hard time sourcing the materials used in real messenger bags so I had to improvise.  I used an outer layer of cotton canvas, a middle layer of a thick vinyl, and an inner layer of cotton just for looks.  I think it turned out pretty darn good and best of all, the durability and strength of the bag has not been an issue.  I have sourced the proper materials since this first bag was made and I am certain the stronger materials would increase the life expectancy of the bag exponentially!

I used this bag, and another I made just like it, on and off for 3 years commuting to and from work.  My commutes were only about 30 minutes long but this bag was extremely comfortable even when hauling a bag full of groceries.  Compared to the backpack I used to wear, the messenger bag is MUCH MORE comfortable.  Keep in mind a good stabilizer strap is essential to comfort.  Probably the best thing about a messenger bag was the convenience!  If I had to make a pit stop and needed something from the bag, I just swung it around my shoulder, grabbed what I needed, and swung it back.  Quick and easy!!!  I highly recommend everyone at least try a messenger bag for their commuting needs.  

Here are a few quick photos of the bag I made. 

Thick shoulder pads help distribute heavy loads.  Quick release seat belt buckle adds some uniqueness!

I embroidered this onto the front of the bag.  It's supposed to be a tree if you can't tell :)  Reflective straps add a bit of safety factor on those late night commutes home. 

Two small accessory pouches and one main compartment make it easy to organize your junk!

Huge main compartment!  Think 2 six packs easy!


Its been a while since I made a bag so now is as good a time as any to make another!  If anyone has some ideas of what to embroider on the front or any other innovative ideas, let me know in the comments section or send me an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Discuss!