BikeLife365

BikeLife365

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bike Build: Knolly Podium - Drivetrain

by A. Tong

Time for an update on the build. 

When I was planning this build I had all intentions to reuse my existing crank set, bottom bracket, shifter, and rear derailleur.  Well, turns out the Truvativ Gigabite BB just didn't fit right.  It is supposed to be compatible with the 83mm bottom bracket shell but the spindle was off center.  Luckily for me, the shop that sold me my Knolly Podium frame was able to give me a great deal on some cranks.  Enter the e*thirteen DH cranks! 

This crank set is something else.  Super sweet matte black crank arms with the e*thirteen in glossy black.  The most outstanding feature for me on this crank set is the polygon interface between the crank arm and spindle.  This should provide a nice stiff interface with the bike!  I tend to hate proprietary parts and was cringing at the fact I'd have to buy another bottom bracket tool but thankfully, e*thirteen includes a tool to install the bottom bracket cups. 

While I was on the e*thirteen train I thought I'd pick up their LG1 ISCG 05 chainguide.  My wife runs this on her Norco DH with no problems so it was an easy choice for me.  I chose to go with the 36-40T model in the event I need to add a larger chainring in the future.

Speaking of chainrings, I decide on going with Chromag.  Chromag CNC machines the 7075 aluminum chainrings with a taller profile to help prevent dropped chains.  But to be honest, I love their OSX bars and adding a bit more Chromag bling doesn't hurt!

Here are some pics.  Unfortunately I didn't get pics of the parts separately but I'll be sure to take some more detailed photos from now on.  

Here are the parts playing nicely together.  Sorry e*thirteen for the upside down crank.  I'll do better next time. 

36 tooth red Chromag chainring mated to e*thirteen DH crank.  A think of beauty if I do say so myself!

A shot of the everything together!

On the bike and ready for some pedals!

Fortunately for the budget, the Shimano XT shifter and rear derailleur from my old 2004 Kona Coiler Deelux still work OK so I'll use those for the time being.  The spring in the derailleur is a bit weak after 7 years of service but for the limited shifting I need it to do, I'll give it a go. 

Just waiting on the headset which should be here in the next few days.  Once it's on, I'll snap some pics and give a parking lot review!




1 comment:

Comments? Questions? Discuss!