BikeLife365

BikeLife365

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bike Build: Knolly Podium - Wheels, Seat, and Seatpost

by A. Tong

The parts from pricepoint.com have arrived!  I have to say I am more than impressed with them!  The order was shipped out the same day as I ordered and 10 days later, it was at my door step.  Not bad considering I'm ordering from Canada.  I highly recommend anyone try them out!  In fact, I am putting together another list of parts for a DJ build I'm thinking of.  More on that later.

So I decided to go with what I think are some pretty good wheels without having to shell out the big bucks for the more blingly and popular choices.  These wheels were on sale for $349US and I just couldn't say no.  From the reviews I've read, these are ready to take a pounding day after day and come back for more.  For some reason this particular review sold me.  For the more techy reader, Pinkbike has an excellent overview of the wheelset.  Just a note, these wheels came in a bit heavier than stated in the Pinkbike review.  I measured them at 1317g and 1137g for the rear and front wheels respectively with the rim strips installed.  


Easton Havoc DH wheels.  Nothing too exciting compared to the shinier wheels out there but the price is right at $349!  Total weight of the wheels is 2454g with rim strips and that little plastic cap on the rear wheel.  Subtract 1-2g for that if you want. 

Straight pull spokes increase the strength of the wheel and in my opinion, look pretty darn good!

Front 20mm hub.  Lots more tech inside the hub than meets the eye!

As for the seat and seatpost, my thinking was simple.  Get the lightest stuff you can find for a good price.  The Sette line from pricepoint.com seemed to fit the bill.  The seat was $36 and weighs in at 215g while the $20 seatpost is 269g.  By no means the lightest you can find but decent for the money.  Hopefully they won't snap the first time my a$$ smashes into them.  Time will tell. 

Sette Evo seat with Ti rails.  Light and cheap!

Sette seatpost.  I like the security of the double bolts that hold the seat in place.  Reminds me of my Thomson post at a fraction of the cost. 

The build is slowly coming together!  I am hoping I'll have the rest of the parts this week!  
Have experience with the Easton Havoc DH wheelset or cringe at the thought of putting Sette products on your build, let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Discuss!