BikeLife365

BikeLife365

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Bike Build: Knolly Podium - Fork and Brakes

by A. Tong

Well, I've been waiting around for parts the past week but unfortunately nothing has arrived yet. So to keep things rolling on the blog I thought I'd post the fork and brakes I'll be using for this build.

One of the most important parts when building a bike is the fork. Lots of people have their preferences in terms of companies but I really don't. I have only had experience with the Fox36 and RockShox Lyrik line up and I really liked both. I did demo a Trek Session 88 with a Fox40 last year at Whistler for a day and it was glorious! Rode very well and I didn't even have time to dial it in! But the down side from what I understand is that maintenance is a little difficult compared to the RockShox Boxxer. Since I'm a very hands on guy and like to wrench on my own bikes, I decided I'd give the Boxxer a try. I found a NEW 2010 Boxxer Team on close out for a great price so it came home with me that day. 

The coil sprung Boxxer Team has a both high and low speed compression (top of stanchion) and rebound adjustment knobs (bottom of stanchion) to dial the fork to the terrain.  If you follow downhill mountain biking you've probably heard of Avalanche Suspension.  They make a kit for the Boxxer that is supposed to make the fork super plush and responsive if you're aren't happy with it in stock form.  I'll ride the fork the way it is for the beginning of the season but if it doesn't perform like I expect it to, I'll look to upgrade.  I am also going to check the oil levels in the fork before riding it as RockShox has a reputation for shipping their forks with either too much or too little oil.  Look for it in a future blog post!


My RocShox Boxxer Team with Straighline direct mount stem and Chromag OSX Fubars!  Purrrrrdy!!!

Another angle.  You can see the high and low speed compression knobs on top of the stanchion. 

Boxxer ready and waiting for the brake caliper.  20mm thru axle keeps things stiff up front!


As for the braking duties, I have an existing set of Avid Juicy 7 with 8 inch rotors.  I used these brakes on my old Kona Coiler Dee-Lux for a season and they performed flawlessly.  The pad and lever adjustment is extremely handy and they work as good as the day I bought them!


Front and Rear Avid Juicy 7 brakes to perform the stopping duties on the Knolly.  These brakes are adjustable, durable, and dependable!


I'm hoping the wheels and headset come next week.  When they do, I'll have a post up ASAP! 

Opinions on the fork or brake selection?  Should I have picked something else?  Please let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Discuss!