BikeLife365

BikeLife365

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Dear Kickstand

by A. Tong


Dear Kickstand,

To this day I can still remember the pride in putting you on my bike as a kid.  It was like its passage into bikehood.  “From this day on Bike, you’ll be able to stand on your own”!  But alas Kickstand, as time went on you met your fate and was destined for the parts bin, if not the trash.  Your siblings the reflector and cassette shield had a similar fate it seemed.  It’s heartbreaking that something as functional as you was traded in for pure vanity but it’s hard to resist the sleek urban look of a fixie.  No brake or shifter lines to obscure the natural beauty and flow of the bike.  No ugly reflectors to obscure your color combination of choice.  And YOU Kickstand, the biggest offender of all!  Your form is void of any consideration of style whatsoever.  

As I’ve matured, Kickstand, I’ve realized that I miss you.  I have fond memories of us together as kids. We could ride to the corner store without fear of scratching Bike while leaning it against Wall.  Since my hasty decision to rid you from my life, arguments between Bike and Wall are a regular occurrence.  When I see the resulting wounds of dents and scratches on Bike after a fight, those are the times I am reminded of you.  
I hope, Kickstand, we are reunited one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Discuss!