BikeLife365

BikeLife365

Thursday, May 19, 2011

From Training Wheels to Big Boy Bike

by A.Tong 

I was 8.  My legs looked like a bruised banana, more black and blue than skin tone, but it was all worth it!

Earlier that day, I decided to take my brothers “big boy” bike and learn to ride without training wheels.  I always thought it was so amazing how he could ride the “big boy” bike and not fall over.  Too bad for me dad was at work and couldn’t teach me how to ride like he did with my brother.  It didn’t matter!  I was determined!

I straddled the banana seat on the yellow bike, placed one foot on the pedal, took a deep breath, pushed forward with the other leg and CRASH, down I went!  Bruise number 1, check.  Bruises 2 through 5 didn’t yield anymore progress but I didn’t give up.  On attempt 6, something happened.  The “big boy” bike was rolling a bit without my feet on the ground!  The excitement was exhilarating!  CRASH!  Bruise number 6, check.  But I couldn’t stop trying now!  

At the end of the day and about 40 bruises later, I could ride the “big boy” bike.  My little bike with training wheels was destined for someone else from that day on.  My first memory of true success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Discuss!